Was the Ground Always this Hard?

This post almost got away from me. It’s been a helluva week back on my grind (ew, did I really just say “on my grind?” Next I’ll be tweeting about my morning boot camp sessions w/ the hashtag #riseandgrind). 

Hope you’re excited to read all about my vacation. Or read a little about it while I go snag the last cupcake from the kitchen supplement the rest with pictures.

Last summer, my sisters and I spent a day at an amusement park. And what a great time we had. If getting cut in line every five seconds by the douche canoe counselor who “lost” his campers and has to “make sure” they’re waiting for him at the front of the line makes for a great time, man, did we have one. So much so that we planned Darien Lake into this trip.

Darien Lake used to be a Six Flags. Until Six Flags caught wind of what was going on up there in Darien, NY and put the kibosh on that. Peeling paint? Broken rides? White trash as far as the eye can see? I don’t think that’s the kind of operation they want their name on. All the better for us, b/c w/out the flashy Six Flags franchise to draw the crowds, we pretty much had the park to ourselves.

b/c of all the back/neck pain I'd been dealing w/, I kept it low-key w/ thrills like The Giant Wheel

 and the swings...which were surprisingly more fun than when I was young

And our camping accommodations were top-notch. My bad, our “glamping” accommodations. Glamour + camping = glamping. It’s new this year. And judging by the look on the face of all the park employees when we asked about it, it won’t be the next big thing at their park. I can’t complain, though. We had a full mattress and our request for a cot was delivered stat. We were quite the happy glampers.


The next day we drove to a state park for some “real” camping. This included pitching the tent, swimming in the pond, and countless treks to and from the bathhouse.

I like to think that I’m a pretty low-maintenance gal; I rarely wear make-up, prefer jeans to dresses, and can go days w/out washing my hair (I don’t mean I can go days w/out washing my hair and it looks good; I just mean I can go days w/out washing my hair b/c I’m lazy as shit I like to conserve water). One night of camping and I feel more high-maintenance than Kim Kardashian. I somehow forgot soap, a razor, and the fact that there’s no light after 9pm. Like, at all. One measly flashlight for all those bathroom treks? Not fun.

On Saturday we did a wine tour. It was my first one, and I don’t know what I was expecting - but it sure wasn’t to be sober at 2 in the afternoon. Our bus was full of L7 weenies, and I’m not talking about Smalls (if you didn’t get that reference, I don't think we can be friends). I think my sisters and I were the only ones in the group who didn’t dump the wine after each initial taste. Who goes on a wine tour and actually wants to learn about wine?

As you can tell, it was a pretty great trip. It’s always nice to get out of the city during the summer. And any time my sisters and I get together, we have fun regardless. As evidenced by the photo below, it doesn't take much to amuse us.

talk about your beer goggles!

btw: the title of this post is courtesy of my sister who SWEARS the ground was never so hard/gravelly/painful when we used to go camping as kids...yet somehow managed to be the only one comfortable enough to sleep through the alarm clock she made us set so we would be up in time for the wine tour. Love ya, 'Reenie ; )

Comments

Michele said…
So glad you gals had fun!
Brigid said…
A sistas reunion is always fun!

Waiting for Sarah to get ready...not so much ; )
xo kAr said…
Hahaha same thing happened to our theme park in NC! It used to be owned by Paramount, but they were like "Nahhh, this place is ghetto." Sooo, now every ride is named after Snoopy characters & families don't crowd the park as much :)
Brigid said…
The first thing I thought of when I saw your comment was "What are the Pigpen and Peppermint Patty rides like?!"

Nothing wrong w/ a ghetto theme park...more ride time for us!