United We Stand

There’s some things you just never forget. I can tell you what I wore on my first day of school every day in high school. And the first day of classes through college (except senior year, when I was probably in my tennis warm-up/some other form of scrubs b/c I was nursing a hangover and early onset senioritis).

I can’t tell you what I was wearing on September 11, 2001. But I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news. It was first block, course 3 (do they still have that math class, or is it just called algebra now?) I was probably not even trying to learn anything since we had a permanent sub that semester and most of my friends were in the class with me (and I wonder why I scored so low on that regents exam).

An announcement was made over the PA system, and we had an assembly in the auditorium. The principal told us what happened, but the enormity of it didn’t sink in. Not until third block world history where my teacher turned on the news.

All games, practices and after-school activities were cancelled. I remember being at home with my mom, watching the same horrifying coverage play over and over. We called my dad and my sisters to take comfort in knowing that our family was okay.

Eleven years later, we still remember.

Thank you to all the police officers, firefighters, military branches. Thank you to all the unsung heroes. Thank you for your unwavering bravery and selflessness. America’s strength and freedom today is evidence of your spirit, and the spirit of this great country.

Never forget.

Comments