Winner Winner, Breakfast for Dinner

What is it about breakfast for dinner that makes me more excited than a kindergartner w/ a fresh box of Crayolas? One with the crayon sharpener in the back, obviously. 

If you want to get technical, B and I have had our fair share of breakfast for dinner. We used to have cereal for dinner on the reg. But there’s a new sheriff in town. He puts his foot down at the idea of cold cereal two nights in a row (unless it’s Peanut Butter Cap’n Crunch). He insists there’s nothing like coming home to a warm meal and a mouthwatering aroma. 

Yes, I’m referring to my crock pot, and no, I haven’t named him (yet). 

Ever since I bought the economy sized cinnamon bottle, I’ve been looking for ways to serve it up. French toast was the obvious answer b/c, well, obviously. French toast is one of those things that doesn’t need a reason. So when I found this recipe, I knew I had to try it immediately. 

The recipe says to set your crock pot on low for six hours. I’m out the door at 7:15 and home around 5:30, so this would be going for over 10 hours. All day at work, I had visions of coming home to a pile of ashes after leaving it on too long, or a charred mess sticking to the sides of my crock pot. Fortunately, the only thing I came home to was the warm smell of cinnamon and brown sugar. Like a holiday candle, but ten times better, because I’d be eating it soon.


I went to the store to pick up bacon and syrup. I’ve never made bacon before, and opted to do it in the oven, so I could use the stove-top for making eggs. B wanted an omelet and I wanted sunny-side up. The bacon was the far-away winner of brinner (breakfast for dinner! See what I did there). Oscar Mayer knows his salted meats. 

I modified the recipe by using 5 eggs instead of 6. We didn’t have any thick loaves or stale bread laying around, so I laid the bread out on a cookie sheet the night before so it would dry out a little. The bread on top and the sides got nice and toasted on the outside and was soft and warm in the middle. French toast perfection.

The bread at the bottom was a little messier. We were literally spooning it out, and it looked more like stuffing than french toast (demonstrated in the picture).


It didn’t taste as good b/c the mixture didn’t cook all the way and there were pieces of egg and milk warmed up and clumped in with the bread. Blechh. 

Most importantly, don’t forget to spray your crock pot. The squishy mess spooned out without a hassle, and clean up was a breeze (unlike the orange chicken I made on Monday where B had to get out the steel wool and go to town on that sucker). 

I’m going to toy around with it, but I’d say this is a keeper. Anything I can pour mountains of syrup over is worth the effort.

Isn't this just the cutest syrup you ever saw?

Comments

Stephanie said…
Haha best syrup bottle ever! The recipe looks delicious, crock pot cooking is the best. There must be some trick to making all of it cook the same though so it all tastes good. Let me know if you figure it out!
Michele said…
mmmmm.... now I want french toast!
Brigid said…
@Stephanie: I plan to make it again, so I'll let you know what I try! Hopefully I can master it in a second attempt (or third...or fourth...)

@Michele: me too! It's never the wrong time for french toast = )